Braces are pure magic when it comes to straightening teeth! But when the treatment is over, it should come as no surprise that teeth can move back to their original position. After all, teeth shift in response to any pressure and naturally move as we get older. If your teeth are shifting after braces, retainers will help ensure all your hard work isn’t undone. But what if your teeth have shifted more drastically over the years from orthodontic relapse? Read on to learn about ways to prevent tooth movements. You can even reverse any shifting with the most innovative, discreet solution available – C5 Hidden Orthodontics. And no, it doesn’t require wearing braces a second time!
Why Do Teeth Shift After Braces?
The ligaments underneath the teeth are flexible and allow braces or other orthodontic treatments to hold your teeth firmly in place. But that also means your teeth can become misaligned after treatment when they are no longer under the pressure of braces. The causes that contribute to teeth shifting after braces include:
- Changing facial structure as you age, which can cause your jaw and bite to reposition
- Losing teeth or dental restoration
- Grinding your teeth (known as bruxism)
- Talking and chewing – everyday activities using facial muscles
- Periodontal disease and bone loss
Most people can see their teeth shifting by looking in the mirror or noticing straighter teeth in old pictures. You may also be able to tell they are moving if your retainers are tight or you’re experiencing tooth sensitivity from food getting caught in tight spaces. As soon as you notice any changes, it’s important to contact your dentist or orthodontist.
Preventing Your Teeth from Moving After Braces
Fortunately, you can help stop your teeth from shifting after braces. The best way is with retainers, given to you to wear after orthodontic treatment. At ALTA SMILES, we smoothly bond a fixed lingual retainer to the back of your teeth, which you would wear for a year or longer. Your orthodontist may also recommend other removable retainer options to help you maintain a beautiful smile for life!
If you grind your teeth, nightguards are an effective solution to prevent tooth wear. Of course, staying on top of your oral health with brushing twice a day and flossing, along with regular dental check-ups every six months, helps reduce the chance of periodontal disease and tooth loss.
C5 Hidden Orthodontics – A Perfect Solution if Your Teeth Shifted After Braces
If your teeth have shifted and you catch it early, your orthodontist may recommend wearing your retainers full-time until your teeth are back to their ideal position. However, if retainers can’t correct the problem, C5 Hidden Orthodontics is a perfect solution to get your smile back. Orthodontic memory wires gently move your teeth and are placed behind your teeth where no one will notice them. You’ll need to come in periodically for wire changes as your treatment progresses, but the treatment period is short – usually 6-9 months!
This treatment is ideal if you previously wore braces, or your teeth have shifted over the years. In addition to teeth shifting after braces, C5 can address other orthodontic situations as well, including crowding and excess space in your front teeth. Both adults and teenagers have experienced great results with C5.
Advantages of C5 Over Clear Aligners
You may have previously thought that clear aligners were the only option for teeth that have shifted after braces. While clear aligners can certainly be an effective option, C5 is a proven way to address tooth movement after braces and offers several advantages:
- Completely invisible. Aligners are “nearly” invisible but still noticeable.
- Uses exclusive lingual teeth straightening technology.
- NO maintenance. Since we smoothly adhere C5 super-flex wires to your teeth, you don’t have to think about them. On the other hand, clear aligners require brushing after eating and drinking anything other than water.
- You don’t have to worry about losing your bonded C5 However, aligners need to be worn 22 hours a day, and you'll remove them frequently for eating and drinking, so it is easy to misplace them.
- Works without shaving off healthy tooth enamel. Clear aligners often need to shave the teeth to fit into clear aligners.
- Never have any speech issues. Often, aligners can cause a lisp during the adjustment period.
Rediscover Your Beautiful Smile
Teeth shifting after braces is a common occurrence and can be easily corrected. At ALTA SMILES, we’re here to help you reposition your teeth using the most cutting-edge technology. C5 Hidden Orthodontics is a perfect solution for orthodontic relapse, but we offer a wide range of orthodontic options to bring back your ideal smile. Contact us today for a complimentary consultation which can be done in-office or with our virtual option to save you time!